Friday, December 21, 2018

The Pianist (2002), 8-

R | 2h 30min | Biography, Drama, Music | 28 March 2003
A Polish Jewish musician struggles to survive the destruction of the Warsaw ghetto of World War II.
Director: Roman Polanski
Writers: Ronald Harwood (screenplay), Wladyslaw Szpilman (book)
Stars: Adrien Brody, Thomas Kretschmann, Frank Finlay.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0253474/
Watched online, ok print, poor connection. And no subtitles for the German spoken.

9 songs in the Soundtracks. Most of the film had no musical performances.

My rating dates back to 2017-01-24, 8 months before I started this quest of watching American music/als. Today I might give it a 7, but the poor connection and lack of subtitles for German dialog was very frustrating.

I'm surprised at how little I remembered of the details, given it was less than 2 years since the rating date; I'm assuming that's when I watched it.

This is based on the book of the title character, played by AB. Today I balked at the ending, with AB happy and successful in Poland, because it seemed more prevalent that Jews had a hard time resettling there. He lived to age 88 (1911-2000).

Rated 8.5 (617,598)

distr. StudioCanal, dir. Polanski; 8-