Wednesday, December 5, 2018

O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000), 6

PG-13 | 1h 47min | Adventure, Comedy, Crime | 13 May 2000
In the deep south during the 1930s, three escaped convicts search for hidden treasure while a relentless lawman pursues them.
Directors: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
Stars: George Clooney, John Turturro, Tim Blake Nelson

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0190590/

22 songs in the Soundtracks. GC was dubbed, especially on the "hit" song I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow.

I can see that this is intended as comedy, but I think I'm not a Coen Bros aficionado. When I look at J.Coen's filmography, I've only rated 6 films (excluding this one), and gave them all a 6. (The average IMDb rating of those films is around 7: 2 each of 8, 7, 6.) So I'm not offended or bothered by them, but I can't say I enjoy them either.

I do like GC and his performance. He has some C.Grant aspects: handsome, funny and able to wink at the audience without looking in the camera lens.

It's nice that the KKK is clearly an evil presence, rejected by about as many people on camera as were shown in hoods at the rally.

One featurette about the color processing was cool, especially since we're 18+ years along now. They described how they scanned in the film, digitally manipulated the color to give it a sepia tone, or to make various shots match, or to turn greenery brown, and then burned it back out to film again. How quaint.

Rated 7.8 (257,102)

Touchstone & more, dir. Coen & Coen; 6