Tuesday, December 25, 2018

The Muppet Movie (1979), 6-

G | 1h 35min | Adventure, Comedy, Family | 22 June 1979
Kermit and his newfound friends trek across America to find success in Hollywood, but a frog legs merchant is after Kermit.
Director: James Frawley
Stars: Jim Henson, Frank Oz, Jerry Nelson, Charles Durning, and a bunch of cameos by big celebs.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0079588/
dvd was a recent gift. (Although the dvd is from Disney, they must have bought the Henson company or ITC Films much later. They're first mention on the IMDb Companies page is 2013. I count a 13 distribution companies for the USA so far.)

8 songs in the Soundtracks, 7 with Music and Lyrics by Paul Williams and Kenny Ascher.

This is the original Muppet movie, preceded by Sesame Street ('69), 2 tv specials ('74 & '75) and a tv series ('76-'81), followed by a bunch of films, shorts & tv specials/series. Note: Rowlf the Dog dates back to The Jimmy Dean Show (1963).

I was already in high school when Sesame Street debuted, so I was aware of it, but not a viewer. My early memories of PBS are that UHF was really difficult to tune and sustain, being on a separate dial of the tv. I vaguely remember that dial being a smooth tuner, not a preset, but that memory could be false. Then again, we didn't have a remote control in those days, so I was likely the one to get up and change channels.

I don't believe that the high rating for this film was earned by the film itself. I think it comes from affection for the characters from their prior shows, which I don't have.

I didn't find much to like here. I don't like the way the characters look, sound or move. The story was dull, and the comedy tepid. I think the pace of the newer ('02) film was faster; their lengths are 5 min apart.

The songs made my eyes roll and visions of better songs dance through my head (Cole Porter, Gershwin brothers, Irving Berlin to name a few. But they didn't have to write for a kids' flick.)

The morality is mostly good (emphasis on friendship), but Miss Piggy is the outlier, as the selfish narcissistic one, but not the villain. I'm sure parents appreciated this for being a safe film for kids' viewing.

Maybe should rate this a 5, but I'll be generous today. I don't recommend a 2nd viewing for myself.

Rated 7.6 (28,767)

indie, dir. Frawley; 6-