Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Baryshnikov by Tharp (1985), 8

1h 30min | Music | Episode aired 1985
part of Great Performances: Dance in America (1976– )
Mikhail Baryshnikov and members of the American Ballet Theatre perform three original dances choreographed by Twyla Tharp: "The Little Ballet", "Sinatra Suite" and "Push Comes To Shove". "
Directors: Don Mischer, Twyla Tharp
Stars: Mikhail Baryshnikov, Elaine Kudo, Susan Jaffe.
Twyla Tharp ... choreographer


No songs listed in the Soundtracks, but, except for some patter, this is all dancing, almost always to music.

This dvd is only 58 min, not 90. All 3 dances are performed. I suspect the IMDb runtime was just inherited from the series.

This is quite the year for MB (b. '48) in my dvd collection. Of the 5 MB titles I own, 3 are from '84/85, the others being Don Quixote (Kitri's Wedding) (1984) and White Nights (1985). I really see only 1 more dance performance, in '87, among all his recordings. The c.track on WN said he was in great pain after dancing; all those beautiful landings done endlessly no doubt.

This is fun, but brief, which is good, because I don't like watching for long stretches. The 3rd work is definitely intended as comic in sections.

I remember watching this, probably when it first aired. I bought the dvd long ago; I finally took a chance that it was this show, since they changed the title for the dvd.

indie, dir. Mischer, Tharp; 8