Thursday, January 11, 2018

The Boys from Syracuse (1940), 6+

The action takes place in Ephesus in ancient Asia Minor, and the story concerns the efforts of two boys from Syracuse, Anthipholus and his servant Dromio, to find their long-lost twins who,...
1h 13min | Comedy, Musical | 9 August 1940
Director: A. Edward Sutherland
Stars: Allan Jones, Irene Hervey, Martha Raye, Joe Penner, Alan Mowbry, Charles Butterworth, Eric Blore.
Dave Gould ... choreographer

Bootleg copy, ok print.

The reason to love this movie is the Rodgers&Hart songs. Of the 6 listed in the Soundtracks, I would consider 3 standards: Sing For Your Supper, This Can't Be Love, and Falling in Love With Love, and the other 3 are very good too. That's a very high number of standards in 1 movie. (I guess I've stopped being shocked by how few songs I know (usually 0) in each musical. I thought there were dozens and dozens of "standards" and that most came from musicals because F&G movies produced standards. I'll have to study where they did come from: big-band albums? radio?)

As usual, Allan Jones is in fine voice. The Soundtracks doesn't list who else is singing, but Martha Raye gets Sing For Your Supper (and maybe The Greeks Had No Word For It.) I'm pretty sure Rosemary Lane sang with AJ on Falling in Love With Love; I was distracted about recording such things. But it's all very enjoyable. Shakespeare fans might like the fact this is based on The Comedy of Errors, but none of that language is used. I remember ballet in the first scene; not sure of other dancing that would come from Dave Gould.

Universal, dir. Sutherland; 6+