Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Broadway Babies (1929), 6-

Dee lives with her two girlfriends in a boarding house. Billy is in love with Dee and runs the show where Dee is in the chorus. He has Dee stepping from the chorus to featured dancer. ... 
1h 26min | Drama, Musical | 30 June 1929
Director: Mervyn LeRoy
Stars: Alice White, Marion Byron, Sally Eilers

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0019726/
Watched online, decent print for small screen.

Out-of-town rube with money is lured to high-stakes poker game with a view of the rehearsal hall where the chorus works. Dee is pointed out to him, and he wants to meet her. Somehow one of the players is connected with the show and exerts pressure on Billy to allow his fiancee to go out with the rube. We get lots of story around the gambling, the dating, lots of rehearsal and performance footage, and a too-slick happy ending.

Most of the dancing is framed straight-on, top to toe. I remember at least one brief shot from a catwalk, but the choreography/dancing was not so exciting that it merited any special angles. It's just basic chorus girl kicks and wiggles.

Not sure why my attention was drawn to play this after I'd passed that year, but it was welcome on a day when I didn't want to watch a dvd on a small screen, and couldn't find anything online in my current year. I know when I was searching for things to buy in December, Alice White's name kept coming up in available musicals that I didn't own. She's a more engaging performer than Glad that I didn't pay to see this.

Warner/First National, dir. LeRoy; 6-