Sunday, January 14, 2018

Spring Parade (1940), 6+

In this light and lovely romantic musical, a Hungarian woman(Deanna Durbin) attends a Viennese fair and buys a card from a gypsy fortune teller. It says that she will meet someone important... 
1h 29min | Comedy, Musical | 27 September 1940
Director: Henry Koster
Stars: Deanna Durbin, Robert Cummings, Mischa Auer, Henry Stephenson, S.Z. Sakall

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033095/
Watched online, mediocre print. Many other posts.

Really very pleasant comedy, with 4 songs sung by DD. Falls short of being a title I'd recommend, if only because I doubt a good print is available. I don't find a commercial release; seems to be in public domain. Ironic that 1 of its 4 Oscar noms is for cinematography.

As always, she's in good voice. The song It's Foolish But It's Fun lives up to its title. Bob Cummings is also very pleasant (he sings the song composed, but I doubt he was hired for his singing.) He reminds me a bit of Don Ameche (although DA sings much better), and RC is more likely to play a nervous type than a swashbuckler.

The 3 character actors Mischa Auer, Henry Stephenson, S.Z. Sakall add well to the mix. I'm surprised SZS is so low on the credits; he's fairly prominent, and MA is only in a short segment.

I hope this gets rescued from PD exile, but seems unlikely. I put it in my wishlist anyway.

Universal, dir. Koster; 6+