Sunday, January 7, 2018

Slightly Honorable (1939), 5- {nm}

A lawyer is framed for the murder of a young party girl and tries to clear his name.
1h 25min || 22 December 1939
Director: Tay Garnett
Stars: Pat O'Brien, Edward Arnold, Broderick Crawford

Genres: Comedy | Crime | Drama | Music | Mystery
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033062/
Watched on AmazonPrime; fuzzy copy.

As can be expected from a film with Pat O'Brien and Broderick Crawford among the top 3 credits, the emphasis is on the crime story. The Soundtracks page lists only 1 song; I assume it's the nightclub performance near the beginning of the film. I've paid little attention since then, and can't believe I previously gave this a 6. I don't think I'd like this even if I weren't expecting a musical. Part of the problem is the poor print. Maybe when I watched it before it was on a smaller/analog screen?

Walter Wanger Productions, dir. Garnett; 5-