Wednesday, February 13, 2019

The Phantom of the Opera at the Royal Albert Hall (2011), 6

Not Rated | 2h 17min | Drama, Musical, Romance | 2Oct2011
A disfigured musical genius, hidden away in the Paris Opera House, terrorizes the opera company for the unwitting benefit of a young protégée whom he trains and loves.
Directors: Nick Morris, Laurence Connor
Stars: Ramin Karimloo, Sierra Boggess, Hadley Fraser.
Gillian Lynne ... choreographer

borrowed dvd

No songs in the Soundtracks, but plenty in the show.

I didn't really Watch this. The stage performance aspect, especially the head-mic sound of the voices, did not compel me to watch.

Then again, I liked the voices of the 3 leads better than I remember this version: The Phantom of the Opera (2004), 5. Weird that I can enjoy the quality of the voices, yet be repelled by their mic-ing. It lacks the warmth of a studio recording. (I'm a film person.) I like the voices, not how they were captured, nor what they were singing.

It's a colorful show, at least when the show with the show is onstage. I can imagine that for someone who like this music/story, this would be a favorite. The IMDb rating confirms that.

Rated 8.8 (5,741)

distr. Universal Home, dir. Morris & Connor; 6