Saturday, February 9, 2019

The Artist (2011), 9 {nm}

PG-13 | 1h 40min | Comedy, Drama, Romance | 15 May 2011
An egomaniacal film star develops a relationship with a young dancer against the backdrop of Hollywood's silent era.
Writer/Director: Michel Hazanavicius
Stars: Jean Dujardin, Bérénice Bejo, John Goodman, James Cromwell.
Elodie Hec ... assistant choreographer / dance coach
Fabien Ruiz ... choreographer / tap dance coach


I really think of this as a musical. Musical-comedy dancing is a strong link between the 2 principals, and the final scene is a lengthy dance. But the dancing is not so frequent and/or long in duration to justify the tag.

My rating is based on my seeing this in the theatre back in '11. I remember being thrilled by the use of B.Hermann's Vertigo ('58) music, and waited for it today; it was well-used. I also liked the b/w and old aspect ratio. JD is very watchable. I liked the use of footage from D.Fairbanks' The Mark of Zorro (1920). And that the story is the flip side of Singin' in the Rain ('52): the silent star who's been cast aside. This is one giant valentine to old H'wood, both silent and sound films, and I concur.

Rated 7.9 (214,903)

distr. Weinstein, dir. Hazanavicius; 9