Friday, February 1, 2019

Hollywood Singing and Dancing: 1940s and 1950s (2009), 7

Hollywood Singing and Dancing: A Musical History - The 1940s: Stars, Stripes and Singing (2009)
1h 48min | Documentary, Musical | Video 10 March 2009
This is a two-hour in-depth exploration into the Hollywood musicals of the 1930s.
Stars: Shirley Jones


53 songs in the Soundtracks, including their film of origin, all represented partially in clips, 

31 films listed in Connections.

Rated 7.7 (38)

I watched both decades in 1 sitting, and stopped checking the Connections after the first hour. It would be nice to make an outline of what was covered as I did for the 30s, but that was too labor intensive today.

I noticed some misleading statements, and a little over-use of public domain footage, but I sympathize with trying to get so much from so many sources.

If these doc'ys make anyone want more, I applaud them, and recommend these for someone who wants an overview. I might come back to them if I analyze my odyssey at its end.



Hollywood Singing and Dancing: A Musical History - The 1950s: The Golden Era of the Musical (2009)
1h 45min | Documentary, Musical | Video 10 March 2009
Stars: Shirley Jones

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1359581/

No songs listed in Soundtracks, but plenty onscreen.

1 film in Connections, but plenty onscreen.

See above for comments.

They did finally mention, in a very vague way, the divestiture decision of '48 in this episode, and the impact was actually gradually visible, combined with the effect of TV and teens emerging as a large demographic. But I would have mentioned it in the 40s segment. 

Rated 8.0 (27)

distr. Koch, dir. (none); 7