Wednesday, November 7, 2018

What's Love Got to Do with It (1993), 7

R | 1h 58min | Biography , Drama , Music | 25 June 1993
The story of singer Tina Turner's rise to stardom and how she gained the courage to break free from her abusive husband, Ike Turner.
Director: Brian Gibson
Stars: Angela Bassett, Laurence Fishburne.
Michael Peters ... choreographer
Eartha Robinson ... assistant choreographer


15 songs in the Soundtracks; LF is listed as performer on some, Tina Turner on all.

Apparently I watched this on Netflix back when, and somehow translated that rating to 7 on IMDb. I'll concur today.

This is mostly about the domestic violence, and therefore I didn't buy a copy until last week. It's very hard to watch, and amazing how much I remember. I was definitely happy when she fought back, which is not a good reaction.

I was a big fan of Ike & Tina, with several vinyl records, and a bigger fan of TT solo, with several CDs. 

As good a job as AB did portraying TT, the screen really lit up when they showed real concert footage of TT at the end.

LF is too good at showing us the ugly side of IT. He gets very little time to show us charm or remorse.

Touchstone, dir. Gibson; 7