Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Immortal Beloved (1994), 6-

R | 2h 1min | Biography , Drama , Music | 16 December 1994
The life and death of the legendary Ludwig van Beethoven. Besides all the work he is known for, the composer once wrote a famous love letter to a nameless beloved, and the movie tries to find out who this beloved was--not easy, as Beethoven has had many women in his life.
Writer/Director: Bernard Rose
Stars: Gary Oldman, Jeroen Krabbé, Isabella Rossellini.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0110116/
Watched online, good print.

16 songs in the Soundtracks; 15 by Beethoven, 1 by Rossini.

An unpleasant tale told unpleasantly.

The tale is unpleasant because Beethoven is cruel to most people, and is shown being beaten by his father as a youth.

The telling is unpleasant because there is little to balance the cruelty (other than the music, which would be better consumed without this), and it's a mystery told with no hints as to its resolution that I caught. But my problem is that I recognize none of the actors beyond the 3 stars, and so I don't recognize the character when she is revealed at the end (but she was a prominent character.)

I can imagine in a future viewing I might rate this 5, but I don't want to banish it just yet.

Rated 7.5 by 21k+ IMDb voters.

distr. Columbia, dir. Rose; 6-