Sunday, November 4, 2018

The Bodyguard (1992), 6

R | 2h 9min | Drama , Music , Romance | 25 November 1992
A former Secret Service agent takes on the job of bodyguard to an R&B singer, whose lifestyle is most unlike a President's.
Director: Mick Jackson
Stars: Kevin Costner, Whitney Houston.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103855/
Watched online, good print.

~15 songs in the Soundtracks; not sure how many were performed onscreen, but seems like only 4 at most.

This was the last movie I saw in a theatre until The Artist ('11). It's about as bad (not horrid) as I remember it, but I'm sure part of my reason was escalating ticket prices, and the quality of other movies I'd seen that year.

Part of my disappointment was that KC had been in some really good films recently: 13. The Untouchables (1987), 14. No Way Out (1987), 15. Bull Durham (1988), 16. Field of Dreams (1989), 19. Dances with Wolves (1990), 20. Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991), 21. JFK (1991). Fortunately I missed 17. The Gunrunner (1989, 3.9), and I'm pretty sure I didn't see 18. Revenge (I) (1990, 6.2) in theatre.

The fact that KC sleeps with WH early in the relationship is pretty shoddy, only "realizing" it would interfere with his job (protecting her) the morning after. Her chaotic lifestyle, especially with the smart son (has the sister been raising him?) is distressing. At least she's not shown to be drug/alcohol user.

I was surprised that WH doesn't sing "the song" until the end of the film, because her rendition is very memorable and annoying. (I kinda like Dolly Parton's version; she wrote it.) I wonder if people picked up on the fact that the song (sung by a guy) was playing at the cowboy bar they went to.

Knowing now how WH's life proceeded does not help now.

Rated 6.2 by 104k+ IMDb users.

Warner & more, dir. Jackson; 6