Friday, November 9, 2018

Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993), 7-

PG-13 | 1h 44min | Adventure , Comedy , Musical | 28 July 1993
A spoof of Robin Hood in general and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves (1991) in particular.
Writer/Director: Mel Brooks
Stars: Cary Elwes, Richard Lewis, Roger Rees, Dave Chappelle.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107977/

5 songs performed in the Soundtracks (4 written by MB), 5 more in the score.

Absurd to tag this Musical. It has songs, performed in the fashion of a musical, but too few, too brief and not the focus of the film. I'd liken it to Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975), which also has production numbers, but is not tagged Musical. But I won't fight it.

I'm being generous to call this 7 today, but I chose that before I noticed my prior 7 rating. It's so tough to rewatch a comedy and appreciate its humor when the jokes are no longer surprises. The best I can say is most were funny, not eye-rolling, and that says a lot with MB. But the degree of funny is diminished with familiarity.

CE is, of course, gorgeous and funny. (I thought about watching The Princess Bride (1987) when I passed it in my binder, but sorta want to get done with this music/al quest thing.)

DC is welcome and effective, but a little underused.

I just realized that Rabbi Tuchman (MB) was the replacement for Friar Tuck. Oy.

Fox, dir. Brooks; 7-