Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Evita (1996), 8

PG | 2h 15min | Biography , Drama , History | 14 December 1996
The hit musical based on the life of Evita Duarte, a B-picture Argentinian actress who eventually became the wife of Argentinian president Juan Perón, and the most beloved and hated woman in Argentina.
Writer/Director: Alan Parker
Stars: Madonna, Jonathan Pryce, Antonio Banderas.
Kim Blank ... assistant choreographer
Miranda Garrison ... assistant choreographer

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116250/

~35 songs in the Soundtracks, including reprises & versions listed separately. All Written by Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd Webber.

This is an opera; fewer than a dozen words are spoken instead of sung. Lots of different styles of music.

Probably my favorite ALW score (close second: JCSS).

I don't remember if I saw the stage play, but I have a fairly strong memory of Mandy Patinkin as Che and Patti LuPone as Evita, so I've seen it somewhere, perhaps not live (but I don't find a TV version on IMDb.)

The film is so well done as a film that I it doesn't feel at all like it originated onstage: lots of crowd scenes, explosions, rioting. No idea of historical accuracy, and I'm not going to research it.

Performances by M & AB are very good and JP serves the story well.

The re-issue on BD has a Making Of featurette listed on bn.com, but didn't find it on IMDb.

Rated 6.3 (31,660).

distr. Buena Vista, dir. Parker; 8