Thursday, November 29, 2018

Chances Are (1989), 7- {nm}

PG | 1h 48min | Comedy, Fantasy, Romance | 10 March 1989
A reincarnated man unknowingly falls in love with his own daughter from his previous life. Once he realizes this, he tries to end their relationship before angels erase his memory.
Director: Emile Ardolino
Stars: Cybill Shepherd, Robert Downey Jr., Ryan O'Neal, Mary Stuart Masterson, Christopher McDonald.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097044/
disc arrived; remembered this fondly, so I sought it.

Didn't hold up quite as well as I remembered, mostly for a plot logic flaw: I didn't really understand why CS suddenly let go of RD in favor of RO. She explains it "objectively" as they've both changed, but I guess it's also weird that she doesn't "discover" she's in love with RO until they kiss. And since she was expecting RD, seems strange that she'd accept substitute RO. (I'm trying to figure out my gut reaction.) The whole "I'll meet you at midnight" thing was pretty weird too.

The clincher for making me buy this was director Ardolino (look at TV too). Highlights: Dirty Dancing ('87), Sister Act ('92) and Gypsy ('93).

Rated 6.4 (9,582)

TriStar & more, dir. Ardolino; 7-