Thursday, June 7, 2018

So This Is Love (1953), 6- Color

Biopic of opera star Grace Moore, who was killed in a plane crash in 1947.
1h 41min | Biography, Music, Musical | 15 July 1953 | Color
Director: Gordon Douglas
Stars: Kathryn Grayson, Merv Griffin, Walter Abel, Rosemary DeCamp, Jeff Donnell, Fortunio Bonanova.
LeRoy Prinz ... choreographer
Paul Haakon ... assistant dance director (uncredited)

Watched online, ok print.

Curious that KG made this film at Warner. I wonder if she was still under contract to MGM and this was a loan out. Kiss Me Kate ('53) is still MGM, but she has only 1 more film credit after that, a Paramount release. No filming date info on IMDb for Kate.

I know who Grace Moore is because she did When You're in Love ('37) with Cary Grant and 8 other films. I wasn't aware that she died in a plane crash, which is not shown in this film.

I don't trust biopics for accuracy, so the subject is irrelevant. This is yet another story of a wannabe star. And I didn't find it particularly interesting, nor was I pleased by the music (~17 songs performed).

The time-consuming ballet duo was mildly interesting since the dancers, The Szonys, went beyond traditional ballet moves (for instance, she did a leap into a split). But it was just a performance specialty; these were not characters in the story - I don't think. (I was semi-watching on a small screen).

So, here's a big shrug.

Warner, dir. Douglas; 6-