Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Treasure Island (1973), 4

1h 27min | Animation, Adventure, Comedy | 11 July 1973
Young Jim Hawkins, a pirate mouse named Hiccup, Dr. Livesey and Squire Trelawney hire a ship to find the legendary treasure of notorious late pirate Captain Flint. However, Flint's former crewmates plan to take over the ship.
Director: Hal Sutherland
Stars: Richard Dawson, Davy Jones, Dal McKennon, Larry Storch.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0280371/
Watched online, blurry.

Nothing listed in the Soundtracks, but they sang plenty. Nothing good.

RD played Long John Silver, who was the cook aboard a non-pirate ship, but several pirates that the boy (DJ) recognized were also aboard. LS played the captain. The pirates know the others are pursuing treasure, and decide to let them dig it up, then steal it. Somehow the good guys prevail.

DJ was very recognizable. RD and LS did not jump out at me, and I had to look at the cast list to decide who they played.

The songs are bad, but the worst part is the sound effects. They used 60's Saturday morning cartoon effects, like you might expect for Inspector Gadget, or some even from The Flintstones. It sounds awful. The scoring between songs was pretty bad too.

So, here we have another kiddie film. But I don't think I would have liked it even if I'd been 5-10 yo. I can't blame the subject; I like some pirate movies, but I need human swashbucklers doing great stunts. Cartoons can't deliver that. Then add bad music and bad sounds...ugh.

distr. Warner, dir. Sutherland; 4