Friday, September 14, 2018

A Star Is Born (1976), 8

R | 2h 19min | Drama, Music, Romance | 17 December 1976
A has-been rock star falls in love with a young, up-and-coming songstress.
Director: Frank Pierson
Writers: John Gregory Dunne (screenplay by), Joan Didion (screenplay by) | 3 more credits »
Stars: Barbra Streisand, Kris Kristofferson, Gary Busey.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0075265/

11 songs in the Soundtracks.

I would have said "falling" instead of "has-been", because he's still packing stadiums when they meet.

Rated 7 on 2010-01-31, I'd go higher today.

Frankly, given the small number of musicals being made, it took guts to even make this. And the songs are very good, both for the rocker (KK) and the pop singer (BS).

I found the chemistry between KK & BS to be credible.

I may have missed a visual clue, but it wasn't so clear to me that KK was self-sacrificing at his end, and that's an important part of the story.

I didn't get all the way through the c.track with BS. Her comments are sometimes interesting, but sparse; i.e., she doesn't talk all the time, and no one else chimes in.

I remember being very emotional when I first watched this years ago, either in theatre or early TV broadcast. I think I have the soundtrack album on vinyl. I certainly know the words to some of the songs.

distr. Warner, dir. Pierson; 8