Friday, September 21, 2018

Roadie (1980), 5

PG | 1h 46min | Comedy, Music | 13 June 1980
A young Texas good ol' boy has a knack with electronic equipment, and that talent gets him a job as a roadie with a raucous travelling rock-and-roll show.
Director: Alan Rudolph
Stars: Meat Loaf, Kaki Hunter, Art Carney, Don Cornelius, Joe Spano.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081433/
Watched online, ok print.

27 songs in the Soundtrack, many just in the score.

I was going to say this might be very funny to viewers to know more about the context, but it's rated 5.1 by almost 1k voters.

ML is the title character, and he doesn't so much "get" the job as get swept into it. He not only has a knack with electronics, but fixes cars with nail files and hair pins, too.

KH is the 16 yo wannabe groupie who's on a quest to have Alice Cooper take her virginity. If parents were mentioned/shown, I missed it.

I think AC was ML's father.

DC is a music booker. He travels around and has ambitions to book bigger venues. We start with Hank Williams Jr in a dive bar. JS is one of the (perhaps actual roadie) who was traveling with HW's equipment, and seems to be employed by DC.

I lost interest pretty quickly after the fight in said dive bar resulted in ML getting hallucinogenic (he headbutted another guy, and "won"), then guzzling beer.

I did see Blondie onscreen, both performing the Johnny & June Carter Cash hit Ring of Fire (I love Blondie, own vinyl & CDs, but I'd prefer that song from its creators), and "acting". I assume ML was roadie-ing for them at that point.

A couple of other bands whose names I don't recognize are listed in the cast, so presumably they had similar roles to Blondie. I dozed off and decided it wasn't worth going back.

So, future self, don't go back to this, ok? I strongly hesitated running it to begin with, but seeing Blondie in the cast swayed me. Don't let that happen again.

distr. UA, dir. Rudolph; 5