Thursday, September 20, 2018

Coal Miner's Daughter (1980), 6-

PG | 2h 4min | Biography, Drama, Music | 7 March 1980
Biographical story of Loretta Lynn, a legendary country singer that came from poverty to worldwide fame. She rose from humble beginnings in Kentucky to superstardom and changing the sound and style of country music forever.
Director: Michael Apted
Stars: Sissy Spacek, Tommy Lee Jones, Beverly D'Angelo.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080549/
Watched online, ok print.

16 songs in the Soundtracks. SS sang the Loretta Lynn songs, BD sang the Patsy Clines.

I'm not challenging the veracity of the phrase in the synopsis I crossed out, just whether it's shown in the film. I was paying good enough attention to deny that anything like that was stated or shown. I'm not really convinced we see her as a superstar either. The film ends with her breaking down on stage, and husband carrying her off, then cut to a vacant lot where he's marked off the rooms of the home he wants to build/ have built. She seems ok in that scene. During the credits we get short versions of LL songs, again by SS, I believe.

I'm not a country music fan, but I remember this film being a big deal at the time. SS won an Oscar for her acting, and the film was nom'd for Best Picture and 5 other categories. So I thought I'd give it a try.

I have no idea what the fuss is about. That SS did her own singing? I can't say I'd know LL's voice, nor can I say that SS's has star quality.

The film shows LL & Patsy Cline as friends, but PC dies in a plane crash not too long into the friendship. SS is devastated for 30 seconds in the film and we move on.

It's just another big shrug from me.

Universal, dir. Apted; 6-