Thursday, April 26, 2018

When My Baby Smiles at Me (1948), 6+ Color

Vaudeville performers, Dailey and Grable, have marital difficulties when he hits the "Big Time", which are compounded by his drinking problem.
1h 38min | Musical | 10 November 1948 | Color
Director: Walter Lang
Stars: Betty Grable, Dan Dailey, Jack Oakie, June Havoc, Richard Arlen, James Gleason.
Angela Blue ... assistant choreographer
Seymour Felix ... choreographer
Kenny Williams ... choreographer

bootleg, very bad print.

In the Tap! Appendix for Dan Dailey, Betty Grable.

Rated 7 on 2010-04-14. NO idea why. Did I like the sappy sentimental ending? Did I like DD's dancing?

Which I do, BTW; like DD's dancing, that is. This film finally motivated me to enter him on my list of Dancers who made their films worthwhile. I didn't like his dancing in the first 3 films where he (finally) danced. But this choreography is much more fun and pretty to watch. He was paired with each choreographer (SF, KW) twice before, and both were there with DD & BG & assistant AB before, so why now?

This is listed as a remake of Swing High, Swing Low (1937, Paramount), and I don't claim to have a perfect memory of that story, but it seems that the plots have little in common beyond the synopsis level; they do share the same source play (playwrights are credited on both). The films are from 2 different studios, so clearly Fox took a clean slate to write their script.

I haven't seen JO (b. '03) since Wintertime ('43); he has 8 releases in between, 4 of them music/als, but I don't own them & didn't find them online (looks like some Universal titles). This is his last music/al. His last film is Lover Come Back ('61, "jest a touuuuch"), and he lives 17 more years after that. He looks a LOT older (gray hair) and FATTER here. He doesn't get enough to do as comic/husband to JH.

I'm confused by the ending: did BG really leave her 2nd husband?

Looks like no official release to dvd yet.

Fox, dir. Lang; 6+