Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Song of the Thin Man (1947), 6+

Nick and Nora investigate the murder of a bandleader in New York.
1h 26min || 28 August 1947
Director: Edward Buzzell
Stars: William Powell, Myrna Loy, Keenan Wynn, Dean Stockwell, Patricia Morison, Leon Ames, Gloria Grahame, Jayne Meadows, Asta Jr.

Genres: Comedy | Crime | Music | Musical | Mystery | Romance
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039853/

OK, so it's a good cast, including the dog (apparently not the original, but the original The Thin Man ('34) was 13 years earlier!) And the relationship between Nick and Nora is fun.

Although Anchors Aweigh ('45) was 2 years ago, DS doesn't look much older; maybe it's the lack of color.

No, Patricia Morison does not sing. I have no idea why they didn't capitalize on that skill in the movies. She's the highest class of the 3 steely dames, followed by JM, then GG.

This is not, not, not a Musical. I might even argue against it being Music genre. Only 2 songs in the Soundtracks, but one was performed onscreen in multiple scenes. So I won't even exclude this from my private list of musicals. But I'm tempted.

I wasn't really in the mood for this kind of film. Unfortunately, I hadn't rated it before. Oh well, someday I'll do a different quest where this will be a more appropriate entry, and maybe the rating will rise.

MGM, dir. Buzzell; 6+