Monday, April 16, 2018

Bill and Coo (1948), 4 {nm} Color

The feathered residents of Chirpendale are terrorized by an evil black crow by the name of "The Black Menace". But to the citizen's rescue comes a brave young taxi puller named Bill!
1h 1min | Musical, Family, Fantasy | 28 March 1948 | "Trucolor"
Director: Dean Riesner
Stars: Burton's Birds, Jimmy the Crow, George Burton

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039188/
Watched on AmazonPrime, horrible print.

Live-action birds walk through some sets, often in costume, with a narrator telling a story. No idea how this got stuck with the Musical genre; how is it possible for live animals to "perform" songs covered by ASCAP? I don't know who the intended audience was, but the music reminded me of Disney. I think a chorus sang some lyrics for a small portion of time, but I don't think they pretended the chorus was the birds. The birds didn't really talk either; sometimes the narrator would say things as though speaking dialog, but he made little attempt to change his voice when doing the "lady" bird lines.

I almost turned it off when it started. Kinda wish I had.

Ken Murray Prod., distr. Republic, dir. Riesner; 4