Sunday, April 15, 2018

Reet, Petite, and Gone (1947), 5-

Old-time musical star Schyler Jarvis, now wealthy, is dying; his last act is a visionary plan for the future happiness of his son, swing bandleader Louis Jarvis, and Honey Carter, daughter ... 
1h 7min | Musical
Director: William Forest Crouch
Stars: Louis Jordan, June Richmond, Milton Woods

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039759/
Available to rent on AmazonPrime; watched my megapack copy; decent print.

14 songs in the Soundtracks, all but 1 mentions Louis Jordan as performer.

Unlike most race films I've watched, scenes without music do not sound scratchy.

Characters are shown taking an airplane to NYC; trains are the usual transport in any film these days.

I can't tell if the plot is horrible.The acting is flat and the music is monotonous (almost all LJ's proto-rock songs sound the same to me), so I'm not following the story very well. Dancing is mostly wiggling, and at one point I looked at the chorus line and thought they had brought in some children. Nope, they were adults in childish-looking costumes. Because the print is good, I can see that the sets look ok; not lavish, but not so very cheap as usual.

Not super annoying, but really really dull.

Louis Jordan Productions, distr. Astor Pictures, dir. Crouch; 5-