Thursday, April 12, 2018

Lost Horizon (1937), 8+ {nm}

A plane crash delivers a group of people to the secluded land of Shangri-La - but is it the miraculous utopia it appears to be?
1h 37min  132 min | | 18 February 1937
Director: Frank Capra
Stars: Ronald Colman, Jane Wyatt, Edward Everett Horton, Thomas Mitchell, H.B. Warner, Sam Jaffe.

Genres: Adventure | Drama | Fantasy | Mystery
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0029162/

I just received the latest (10'2017) copy on blu-ray, with the extra 1 minute restored, and 4K scan. I don't think any of the extra features are new, and the commentary track is actually from 1999, when the restored-length edition was first released.

I remember this film fondly, and was surprised to see my prior rating was only 8 (on 2009-07-13).

Although the restoration is clearly a labor of love, I think part of my dislike is the sections where they added the original audio track with still photos. I'm listening to the commentary now, and the restorer is asked which version he prefers, and he says he likes the version without those still-frame sections. I wish someone had thought to provide such a version on the disc. (Really, the dialog in those sections adds little to the story.)

I also don't like having seen the alternate ending, because I remembered it as the official ending, and it is much weaker. (The official ending does NOT have JW waiting/watching for RC at the entrance to Shangri La.)

And the film drags a bit in some places. However, ...

Ronald Coleman es muy, muy guapo aquĆ­. When he does that infinity stare, he looks dreamy in a dual sense.

John Howard as the belligerent brother is well done. Both EEH and TM find they can ply their trades within this society. But JH is young and jealous of his brother, still wants to find a way to make his own stamp on the world, and doesn't appreciate the serenity of Shangri La at all.

I, of course, being a fan of Galt's Gulch, and putting my money where my mouth is by retiring at age 60, love the idea of Shangri La, although I do wonder about the economics/racism of the place. There is a definite hierarchy, where the privileged few seem to do no labor, and the indigenous folk provide the goods and services locally produced. The Gulch was more egalitarian, home only to refugees, with everyone needing to provide something of value; that's the good potential of capitalism. Not sure what to call the Shangri La philosophy, where everything is based on kindness and moderation in all things, even moderation, which is a logical falacy.

Columbia; dir. Capra; 8+