Wednesday, August 29, 2018

The Young Girls of Rochefort (1967), 9+

Two sisters leave their small seaside town of Rochefort in search of romance. Hired as carnival singers, one falls for an American musician, while the other must search for her ideal partner.
2h 5min | Comedy, Drama, Musical | 8 March 1967 | Color, ws
Director: Jacques Demy
Stars: Catherine Deneuve, George Chakiris, Françoise Dorléac, ..., Gene Kelly, Danielle Darrieux.
Maureen Bright ... assistant choreographer
Pamela Hart ... assistant choreographer
Norman Maen ... choreographer


~19 songs in the Soundtracks.

Today I judged this to be a 9, but thought that was only because I've watched so much dreck recently. Nope, I agree with my rating from more than 16 years ago: rated 9 on 2006-01-02. 

The opening production number, with the carnies stretch/dancing on the transport bridge is so charming, and credits roll over them, including credit for the Hats. I remember laughing at that, and hoping I was in for the treat those things promised. I was.

Dir. Demy wrote as well as directed this. I love the silliness of the story, especially his withholding the various pairs of lovers meeting until the end, and the "most important" pair not meeting yet, but with the suggestion they must.

The costumes (especially the hats) are beautiful in color, 60's in design. The dancing is likewise. Always good to see GC, whose partner in the carnival has to match him step for step, but somehow I'm always watching GC instead. Other dancers do the more athletic moves, but there's plenty, and it's all good. 

GK dances also, with children, with men on the street, with FD. His singing is dubbed, unfortunately. But I think he was speaking the dialog. He looks marvelous.

I wonder if they'll ever find the English language version that was also filmed. Such a shame if all copies are really gone. I have a cd of (some of?) the songs.

I love this homage to the H'wood musical that is actually original on its own.

If I were forced to pick my top 10 musicals, this would most likely make the list. (I have 5 that are 10's and 15 that are 9's; yes, this would be in the top 5 of the 9's, so let me add a plus.)

French cie, dir. Demy; 9+