Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Robin and the 7 Hoods (1964), 6

In Chicago, during the Prohibition, two rival gangs compete for control of the city's rackets.
2h 3min | Comedy, Crime, Musical | 24 June 1964 | Color, WS
Director: Gordon Douglas
Stars: Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Sammy Davis Jr., Bing Crosby, Peter Falk, Barbara Rush.
Jack Baker ... musical numbers staged by

Watched online, good print.

7 songs in the Soundtracks. Each of the musical talents here perform as you would expect, and can see in the Soundtracks. Although they're not terrific songs (except My Kind of Town), the musical numbers are the highlight of the show. But I don't like gangster stuff.

The 2 rival gangs are headed by FS and PF. Corrupt law enforcement officials side with PF. BC is first affiliated with a charity that receives cash FS doesn't want from BR, then with FS's gang, then with BR.

The plot shifts a lot, as exemplified by BC's shifting loyalties. It's challenging to keep up with the changes and what specifically motivated each one. And I'm not really sure how the film ends. I know what happened to PF, but not his organization. I certainly don't understand why FS, DM and SD are in Santa suits, nor what BR & BC are doing (for work) together. I watched the ending twice, and the only thing that was clarified was that it wasn't my concentration that was at fault. I think the film leaves a lot of loose ends. Blech.

Warner, dir. Douglas; 6