Thursday, May 24, 2018

With a Song in My Heart (1952), 6- Color

After landing a job singing on the radio, Jane Froman marries musical accompanist Don Ross. Under Don's management, Jane rises to stardom and is invited to perform for the troops during ... 
1h 57min | Biography, Drama, Musical | 4 April 1952 | Color
Director: Walter Lang
Stars: Susan Hayward, Rory Calhoun, David Wayne, Thelma Ritter, Robert Wagner.
Billy Daniel ... choreographer

Watched online, poor copy, blurry.

Sentimental story of Jane Froman, whose leg was badly damaged in a plane crash. The sentiment comes when she entertains wounded WW2 service men in hospitals, propped up on a stand or crutches, and sings about how great home is.

Including those in a medley, 27 songs in the Soundtrack. I don't care for JF's voice (she's the one dubbing SH); it's a little bit operatic, sort of Kate Smith meets Jeanette MacDonald.

Since I don't trust this to be accurate, even with JF as a technical advisor, and I don't care for SH, my negatives outweigh any positives. But I won't be harsh. It's not a bad film, just not to my liking.

Fox, dir. Lang; 6-