Thursday, May 31, 2018

Abbott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd (1952), 6- Color

Rocky and Puddin' Head are waiting tables at an inn on Tortuga when a letter given them by Lady Jane for delivery to Martingale gets switched with a treasure map. Kidd and Bonney kidnap them to Skull Island to find said treasure.
1h 10min | Adventure, Comedy, Musical | 27 December 1952
Director: Charles Lamont
Stars: Bud Abbott, Lou Costello, Charles Laughton, Leif Erickson.
Val Raset ... musical numbers staged by

Watched online, ok print for small screen.

I agree is it's a musical, barely: 6 performed songs in the Soundtracks, all but 1 by Bill Shirley and someone.  (I haven't seen BS much; his biggest film is My Fair Lady ('64) where he dubs Jeremy Brett's singing.)

I'm not crazy for pirate movies, nor A&C movies, and even the addition of CL, who is very adept at comedy and is good at moments here, does not push my enjoyment of this. It doesn't hold my attention, so I don't really know how the story is resolved, and I don't care except that the film might be better than I think. But I'll shoulder the guilt and move on.

Warner, dir. Lamont; 6-