Thursday, May 17, 2018

Alice in Wonderland (1951), 5- Color

Alice stumbles into the world of Wonderland. Will she get home? Not if the Queen of Hearts has her way.
1h 15min | Animation, Adventure, Family | 28 July 1951 | Color
Directors: Clyde Geronimi, Wilfred Jackson, Hamilton Luske
Stars: Kathryn Beaumont, Ed Wynn, Richard Haydn, Sterling Holloway, Jerry Colonna.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043274/
Watched online; good print for a small screen.

I wonder if a good version can be made, and if so, would I like it. This rates 7.4 among ~109k users, and I all but ground my teeth while running this.

I remember liking the story as I a child, but I remember reading it, with the old (original?) illustrations. I'm sure I owned a copy of the book.

I don't know if it would help to have recently read the story and observed how they adapted it. I only vaguely remember the characters and "plot". To me, this film seems slow and boring, which the story should not. The songs especially decelerate things to a crawl/halt.

Try it again at your own peril. I'm warning you now to avoid this in future.

Disney, distr. RKO, dir. Geronimi, Jackson, Luske; 5-