Friday, May 25, 2018

I Dream of Jeanie (1952), 6 Color

The life and career of famed American composer Stephen Foster.
1h 30min | Biography, Drama, Music | 15 June 1952
Director: Allan Dwan
Stars: Ray Middleton, Bill Shirley, Muriel Lawrence.
Nick Castle ... dance director

Watched online, mediocre print.

18 songs in the Soundtrack, all by SF.

1941 is the year (Jan-Oct) of the ASCAP boycott, where radio stations would only play songs in the public domain, often the title song of this film. I wonder how many people cringed at the thought of hearing that tune again.

I don't trust biopics, and I don't revel in SF music, so this was no treat for me. If it had any interesting dancing, I missed it. The drama about SF loving a girl who hates limelight (finding it undignified), causing him to tear up his music and leave town feels like H'wood plotting.

Notice that even Republic is making color films by now.

Republic, dir. Dwan; 6