Saturday, November 25, 2017

Trouble in Texas (1937), 4- {nm}

Rodeo stars are being killed with poisoned needles, and Tex Ritter is next on the list.
(63 min) Released 1937-03-06
Director: Robert N. Bradbury (as R.N. Bradbury)
Stars: Tex Ritter, Rita Hayworth, White Flash

Genres: Action | Comedy | Musical | Romance | Western
(4 genres removed when I looked at this 14 Mar 2018)
This disc was a "bonus" with a Playboy doc'y about Rita. Both audio and video quality are poor.

In the print I have, likely a re-release, RH is the name above the title; in IMDb, she's billed 3rd, and "as Rita Cansino". She appears immediately in the first scene. In the second,Tex Ritter sings. He does look a bit like his son John and grandson Jason. And a bit like Roy Rogers and Clint Black, or is that just the squint from needing sunglasses?

I guessed from Rita's wardrobe that we're in modern times, but she's traveling by stagecoach, so probably not? But the rodeo had stagecoach races, so maybe it was just being transported to the rodeo...? I never did figure it out.

This is primarily a cowboy movie. Lots of rodeo footage that looks shot silent, as in the playback is just a little too fast.

Rita sorta dances for 2 min starting at 34:40ish. The cowboy tapper before her is much better. And they shot her from the waist up for most of her time. Rita really can dance. See her 2 movies with Fred Astaire (You'll Never Get Rich ('41), You Were Never Lovelier ('42)) and 1 with Gene Kelly (Cover Girl ('44)); great when she had good choreography.

Well, this illustrates why I'm not including musical westerns in my quest, and I own a 50-pack just of Western public domain material. I found out that I really don't like them. I would throw them away, but at some point I'll get curious, and there are some famous ones on there.

prod. Boots and Saddles Pictures, distr. Grand National Pictures, dir. Bradbury; 4-