Thursday, November 16, 2017

Dimples (1936), 6-

Dimples Appleby lives with the pick-pocket grandfather in 19th century New York City. She entertains the crowds while he works his racket. A rich lady makes it possible for the girl to go legit. "Uncle Tom's Cabin" is performed.
(79 min) Released 1936-10-09
Director: William A. Seiter
Stars: Shirley Temple, Frank Morgan, Robert Kent
Bill Robinson ... dances directed by

Genres: Family | Musical

ST dances 3 or 4 times, as a busker, and as little Eva in Uncle Tom's Cabin. The most interesting sight was the minstrel number, which is supposed to occur before the Civil War; it looks a lot like something Mickey and Judy did at MGM in few years. Oh, my, I just checked for a dance director. I swear I thought some of her moves looked like Bojangles, and sure enough, he was the architect. Wish he'd been afore the camera too.

ST seems more self aware here, distracted from her performance perhaps. I get the idea she'd rather be elsewhere, doing something more interesting. Or I could be projecting my own thoughts on her.

Fox, dir. Seiter; 6-