Thursday, November 2, 2017

Music Is Magic (1935), 6-


Aging star (Daniels) finally recognizes the truth when she is replaced in her new movie by a girl from the chorus (Faye).
(66 min) Released 1935-11-01
Director: George Marshall
Stars: Alice Faye, Ray Walker, Bebe Daniels

Drama | Musical

Watched a bootleg copy, very blurred, so much so that I missed all the mugging of Mitchell and Durant, in fact, I couldn't recognize them by face; even though their comedy is very physical, I suspect faces would help. Always nice to see my birthday sister, Hattie McDaniel. Her moment on the airplane is good.

This is Faye's 7th film, my 3rd among them. The production number of the title song is pretty good (especially athletics by M&D), but without a decent print, I'll not put this on my Musicals with Worthwhile Dancing list.

Director Marshall's name looks familiar. Of his 75 talking feature films (48 are comedies, as are these below), I've rated 18, and recommend (the last 3 are musicals, and Red Garters is special for its abstract sets): 
  • Destry Rides Again (1939, 8)
  • The Ghost Breakers (1940, 7)
  • Pot o' Gold (1941, 7)
  • Star Spangled Rhythm (1942, 7)
  • Red Garters (1954, 7)
Fox Film Corp, dir. Marshall; 6-