Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Flirtation Walk (1934); 6-

A Musical-romance with Dick Powell as a private stationed in Hawaii who gets involved with Ruby Keeler...
(97 mins.) Released 1934-12-01
Director: Frank Borzage
Stars: Dick Powell, Ruby Keeler, Pat O'Brien, Ross Alexander

musical, romance

originally posted 22 Oct 2017 00:03

A WB musical at West Point without BB?? Ah, it's not a musical. It's a drama with DP singing a couple of songs. Hoofer RK does not wiggle an ankle. Lots of marching in formation, but it looks like real cadets on location. Nothing stylized about it. The only real musical number is the Hawaiian dancers plus DP singing Aloha Oe.

During the first half or so I thought this would make a good propaganda/recruitment film. Seemed strange since war was years away.

The show-within-a-show is an amateur production at West Point written by and starring DP's character. A woman becomes general and commands West Point. At the end, she is deposed and returned to her rightful place on the sidelines. Highly sexist. Could have been even more offensive, but contributes to my desire to grade this a 5.

Previously I rated it 6. But watching it immediately after The Gay Divorcee and expecting a real musical, I'd give it a 5. Perhaps if I'd cleansed my viewing palate in between, I'd have been more charitable. So I'll leave the 6 for now.

I'm getting the definite impression that First National is the B-unit of Warner.

First National (WB), dir. Borzage; 6-