Sunday, January 27, 2019

U-Carmen eKhayelitsha (2005), 6

2h 2min | Musical, Drama, Romance | 1 April 2005
A version of Georges Bizet's Carmen, set in a modern-day South African township.
Co-writer/Director: Mark Dornford-May
Stars: Pauline Malefane, Andile Tshoni, Lungelwa Blou.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0445776/
I only became aware of this recently.
disc has video issues, with pixelations happening at least 10 times.

Translated from French to Xhosa, an indigenous language of SA. The bullfighter is instead an opera singer, and some events of the story seem altered (I didn't re-read the synopsis).

I couldn't distinguish between the policeman who offers to trade sex from Carmen for not arresting her for fleeing from police custody before, and Jose (Jongi here).

Even when the women dress up to party, the colors are all pale/bland. The buildings are often tin shacks, and/or partially built. I think they were trying to represent real conditions in a SA township.

I don't remember seeing any whites.

Lots of time talking/fighting without Bizet's music. Some indigenous-sounding music was added to at least 1 scene.

I'd rather watch the other production I have, the Americanized film adaptation, or listen to audio only. But I'm glad to have seen it.

Apartheid was in force 1948-93, and Mandela was president 1994-9.

Rated  6.7 (615)

distr. Koch, dir. Dornford-May; 6