Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Electric Apricot (2006), 5

R | 1h 32min | Comedy, Music
Spoof of jam bands centered around the band, Electric Apricot, in the style of "This Is Spinal Tap". 
Writer/Director: Les Claypool
Stars: Jonathan Korty, Adam Gates, Bryan Kehoe.

Watched on AmazonPrime.

No songs listed in the Soundtracks, and I don't know that anything more than a few guitar licks were played.

I have no idea what a jam band is - do they just jam? So when they make an album, it's just a bunch of jamming?

For the synopsis writer to connect this to ...Spinal Tap ('84) is insulting to ST. Then again, I was definitely reminded of that film (which I don't love, but appreciate).

The catch phrase "you only make your first album once" was rather dull, and repetition didn't enhance it. The multiple Grateful Dead references are lost on me.

I was irritated from the beginning, read a review that said to give it time to build, decided at the halfway mark to sustain, but really tuned out by then.

Avoid.

Rated 7.0 (569)

National Lampoon & more, dir. Claypool; 5