Friday, January 4, 2019

The Phantom of the Opera (2004), 5

PG-13 | 2h 23min | Drama, Musical, Romance | 22 Dec 2004
A young soprano becomes the obsession of a disfigured musical genius who lives beneath the Paris Opéra House. He kidnaps the soprano and forces the owners of the play to keep her as the lead role of the play.
Director: Joel Schumacher
Stars: Gerard Butler, Emmy Rossum, Patrick Wilson.
Peter Darling ... choreographer
Gillian Lynne ... choreographer: stage
Lynne Page ... associate choreographer
Lisa Stevens ... choreographer

Watched online, ok print.

~29 songs in the Soundtracks, including reprises, 27 Written by Andrew Lloyd Webber, Charles Hart, and Richard Stilgoe, 1 by ALW alone, 1 with a 4th credit.

Previously rated 5 on 2015-05-07, I'm still in that zone today. I didn't fall asleep, my mind wasn't consumed with anything compelling, I like opera, yet this does not attract my attention, much less hold it. I would rather be watching kiddie korn.

I think only 1 or 2 musical themes were familiar. The rest was not attractive to me. I thought at one point: well I suppose this music fits the story, but I don't like it.

That's part of the problem: this is a horror story, and I just don't care for that genre.

Read some of the FAQs on IMDb, and I didn't miss much of the plot. I just didn't want to follow the characters. Particularly grotesque: the flashback to Phantom's childhood, where he's tethered in a cage and a man beats him while an audience reacts with glee. 

Avoid unless another production seems promising.

Rated 7.3 (108,123)

Warner & more, dir. Schumacher; 5