Sunday, January 13, 2019

The Matrix (1999), 5 {nm}

R | 2h 16min | Action, Sci-Fi | 31 March 1999
A computer hacker learns from mysterious rebels about the true nature of his reality and his role in the war against its controllers.
Directors: Lana Wachowski, Lilly Wachowski (as The Wachowski Brothers)
Writers: Lilly Wachowski (as The Wachowski Brothers), Lana Wachowski (as The Wachowski Brothers)
Stars: Keanu Reeves, Laurence Fishburne, Carrie-Anne Moss, Joe Pantoliano.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133093/
(returning damaged set)

I can imagine why this is popular, but it doesn't appeal to me: too violent, too bleak. I thought I should see it, and found it cheap, but am glad the seller wants it back (bad disc2).

Unfortunately, I'm watching this late (I'm almost done with 2006), and I've not watched anything in a similar special effect vein, so I don't have any way of knowing if the effects here were much more advanced than other films. The fight scenes are impressive, but I'd rather watch dancing.

Rated 8.7 (1,464,436)

Warner & more, dir. 2 Wachowskis; 5