Thursday, February 21, 2019

Les Misérables (2012), 5-

PG-13 | 2h 38min | Drama, History, Musical | 25 December 2012
In 19th-century France, Jean Valjean, who for decades has been hunted by the ruthless policeman Javert after breaking parole, agrees to care for a factory worker's daughter. The decision changes their lives forever.
Director: Tom Hooper
Stars: Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, Anne Hathaway, Amanda Seyfried.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1707386/
borrowed dvd

48 songs in the Soundtracks, all Written by Herbert Kretzmer, Claude-Michel Schönberg, and Alain Boublil.

Great cast, great production. I just hate the musical.

It's not as if I hate the story. I rated non-musical Les Misérables (1998), 7 on 2015-05-06. I don't remember specifics and maybe I'd hate being dragged into the grime of the story today too. Watching the trailer, it feels like good cinema, which lets you keep a comfy distance from the grime.

I really dislike the music, and the songs are sung, not danced. This is not heightened reality, it's just an alternate reality where the spoken word is sung instead. And I find it incredibly annoying, borderline 4. Recall that I like opera, which also a stand there and sing medium, but not every opera is pleasing. This one doesn't rise to the level of trained opera singers, and is definitely not pleasing.

Rated 7.6 (282,306)

distr. Universal, dir. Hooper; 5-