Saturday, March 31, 2018

Three Wise Fools (1946), 5- {nm}

It had been forty years since Richard, James and Theodore insulted The O'Monahan and he put a vexing blessing on them. All three have obtained their dreams of grandeur, but they all live in... 
1h 30min | Comedy, Drama | 26 September 1946
Director: Edward Buzzell
Stars: Margaret O'Brien, Lionel Barrymore, Lewis Stone, Thomas Mitchell, Edward Arnold, Ray Collins, Jane Darwell, Harry Davenport.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039031/
Watched online, fuzzy print.

Not a musical; watched because I'd been so pleased with MO in other films. Well, here's the film to show me that MO does not transform any story into something worthwhile.

I'm not sure who this aimed at: children or adults? Perhaps you need to be Irish to appreciate this story: fairies that don't believe in humans and humans that don't believe in fairies. I don't remember what bad thing will happen to the fairies if their tree is cut down. Is this common mythology somewhere, or just made up out of 1 writer's head?

With this team of actors, I expected something likeable. I did not get it. I don't blame them. It's the story that's completely outside my comprehension.

MGM, dir. Buzzell; 5-