Saturday, March 31, 2018

Thanks a Million (1935), 6

Entertainers enter a political rally to get out of the rain and become part of the show. One of them (Powell) gives a speech in place of the besotted candidate (Walburn) and is chosen to be... 
1h 27min | Comedy, Musical, Romance | 15 November 1935
Director: Roy Del Ruth
Stars: Dick Powell, Ann Dvorak, Fred Allen, Patsy Kelly, Raymond Walburn.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0027088/
Watched online, good print.

In the Tap! Appendix for Ann Dvorak, Patsy Kelly. I saw them dance; it was nothing special, more soft shoe than tap.

I'm surprised that the screenplay author, Nunnally Johnson, did not get any writing credit on If I'm Lucky ('46), the descendant to this film. The stories are very similar, and even some of the dialog is familiar. Both are Fox productions. Here's the cast comparison:
Dick Powell::Perry Como
Ann Dvorak::Vivian Blane
Fred Allen::Phil Silvers
Patsy Kelly::Carmen Miranda
So 3 of the 4 leads are spicier in the remake.

As much as I miss having DP in musicals, this doesn't grab me. The 6 songs here are ok, but have little dancing to spice them up. Because I knew what to expect from the story, I wasn't paying rapt attention. And because I watched it in the wee hours, I had the sound volume low.

1935 was the last year that I didn't search for musicals online while I was watching in sequence. With 71 total American music/als in IMdb, and only 26 watched, I wonder what else is out there.

Fox, dir. Del Ruth; 6