Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Murder in the Blue Room (1944), 6-

A party is thrown at a haunted mansion, people start to die, and a man who spent a night in the "blue room" disappears.
1h 1min | Comedy, Mystery, Musical | 27 October 1944
Director: Leslie Goodwins
Stars: Anne Gwynne, Donald Cook, John Litel, Grace McDonald, Regis Toomey.
Carlos Romero ... dance director

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0037100/
Watched online; fuzzy print.

I suppose Universal had or was establishing a tradition of horror/scary movies, and this might overlap that category because it includes ghosts and startling things in the dark.

I only recognize Regis Toomey. I know Grace McDonald's name, but not her face, so I don't know which of the trio of performers she is. The lead's (AG's) singing is dubbed by Martha Tilton. She has 1 song in the Soundtracks, and the trio has the other 2. The trio sings and dances, and the blond does a lot of kicks over the other 2 (that's probably GM; she's in the Tap! Appendix for another film this year.) But it's mostly comedic, and not terrific.

The murder mystery is standard stuff, with hidden passages in a mansion and blackmail. The butler did ... something.

When I saw IAL Diamond as the first writing credit, I got my hopes up. Then I watched the movie. Ah, this is his first film credit. He doesn't team up with Billy Wilder until Love in the Afternoon (1957).

Universal, dir. Goodwins; 6-