Saturday, March 10, 2018

Can't Help Singing (1944), 7- Color

A senator's daughter (who can't help singing) follows her boyfriend West in the days of the California gold rush.
1h 30min | Musical, Western | 29 December 1944 | Color
Director: Frank Ryan
Stars: Deanna Durbin, Robert Paige, Akim Tamiroff

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0036692/

Apparently I've seen RP a couple of times, but not noticed him. His 69 credits go back to 1934, and he has only 11 more to go.

To continue the synopsis: ... only to fall for her traveling companion while lying to him about who her intended was. Both suitor and faux suitor, plus father and fellow traveler converge at her destination in the same scene. She explains her way out of it, and can't help singing about her joy.

I'm not fond of duplicitous characters, especially when they profit from their mendacity. I'm not sure if this was a habit with her, or if she felt hemmed in by her limited travel options.

This is a gorgeous print of a Technicolor film (I think I read it was DD's only color film). Per the IMDb Soundtracks, DD sings 4 songs and reprises 2. RP joins her on 2+a reprise. Plus we get 2 more sung by others.

Previously rated 7; didn't enjoy it that much today, but fell asleep during, and don't want to start it again to find out if I should alter the rating. So I'll just minus it for now.

Universal, dir. Ryan; 7-