Thursday, March 29, 2018

A Night in Casablanca (1946), 6+ {nm}

The Marx Brothers are employed at a hotel in postwar Casablanca, where a ring of Nazis is trying to recover a cache of stolen treasure.
1h 25min | Comedy | 16 May 1946
Director: Archie Mayo (as Archie L. Mayo)
Stars: Groucho Marx, Harpo Marx, Chico Marx, Charles Drake, Sig Ruman.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038777/

Charles Drake is a familiar face. For me, it's for being the young good doctor in Harvey ('50).

Not a musical, and not tagged as such. I just figured Chico plays piano, Harpo plays harp, and the chanteuse sings a few times, so why not watch it. Most MB movies ARE tagged music/al.

I don't think I did a good job watching this. Not enough anarchy/rebellion for me. The MB join with the juvenile (CD) to solve the crime and rescue the treasure. No Margaret Dumont, only the chanteuse (who is in with the Nazis until she overhears that they'll leave without her. Then she calls the cops.) The juvenile has a romantic interest, but I don't remember why she was in town.

Without GM singing, without a Dumont or a Thelma Todd foil, without a specific con of their (MB) own, this omits too many key ingredients to get to a 7.

Maybe I'll change my mind in a subsequent viewing, but this was on my "own, Netflix 3/5 rating" list, and I scanned my other MB ratings from this quest.

Loma Vista Productions, distr. UA, dir. Mayo; 6+