Monday, January 15, 2018

Fantasia (1940), 6

A collection of animated interpretations of great works of Western classical music.
2h 5min || 21 July 1941 (UK) | 13 November 1940 (New York City, New York) (roadshow version)

Directors: James Algar (uncredited), Samuel Armstrong (uncredited) | 10 more credits
Stars: Leopold Stokowski, Deems Taylor, Corey Burton

Genres: Animation | Family | Fantasy | Music

I don't like Disney animation. I don't like Mickey Mouse. I don't like Fantasia. It's all too slick, too sweet, even when depicting evil and horror. I like the music, but resisted buying/watching this until Mar 2014, and got a good deal ($16 for the 3-disk anthology, which is offered used now on Amazon for $26, and new for $95.) So maybe someday I'll have the patience to actually sit and watch it, maybe in segments, because it makes me antsy as real ants would.

I previously rated this 6, and I'll leave it. But if I were rating this fresh today it would be 5.

Disney, dir. various; 6