Monday, April 30, 2018

Alice in Wonderland (1949), 4 Color

This exceptional theatrical version of Lewis Carroll's 1865 classic features a combination of live characters and puppets.
1h 16min | Animation, Action, Family | 13 May 1949 (France) | Color
Director: Dallas Bower
Stars: Stephen Murray, Ernest Milton, Pamela Brown.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042189/
Available on AmazonPrime; watched here; mediocre print.

If "exceptional" means hideous, then the synopsis is accurate. I don't see these as puppets (which invokes marionnettes or socks for me). These appear to be stop-motion creatures.

In this film, the songs slow the story, which already appears slow from the stop-motion.

A joint UK, French, US financed film, I'd prefer to banish this from my list of US musicals, but technically I can't.

The woman playing 10-year old Alice was born in '26. She's pretty, and resembles drawings of Alice, but 22/23? 

The live-action beginning of the film is somewhat interesting. But when I saw the stop-motion animation, how ugly the characters were, how slowly they moved, how badly framed some scenes were (characters occupy the bottom 20% or less of the screen), I seriously considered stopping the film. But my self-imposed rule about not rating a film without watching it intervened, and I want to prevent myself from attempting this again.

indie, dir. Bower; 4