Sunday, July 29, 2018

The Joker Is Wild (1957), 6 b/w, ws

Frank Sinatra plays Joe E. Lewis, a famous comedian of the 1930s-50s. When the movie opens, Lewis is a young, talented singer who performs in speakeasies. When he bolts one job for another,...
2h 6min | Drama, Musical | 26 September 1957 | b/w, ws
Director: Charles Vidor
Stars: Frank Sinatra, Mitzi Gaynor, Jeanne Crain, Eddie Albert, Beverly Garland, Jackie Coogan.
Josephine Earl ... choreographer

Watched online, ok print.

I knew the story was unpleasant, and FS can play that very well. But I don't like the story, so I don't like the film. I won't give this a minus, because he sings some good stuff, just not in a heartfelt way.

Don't get confused: Joe E. Lewis, now obscure singer turned comic, is not Joe E. Brown, wide-mouthed comedian/acrobat.

I don't begrudge the guy becoming a bitter alcoholic; he was dealt a very bad setback. I just don't want to watch any representation about it. And it's not like we spend any time in a post-gutter happy place. This is strictly a downer from Downersville.

AMBL Prod., distr. Paramount, dir. Vidor; 6